Monday, December 3, 2012

48 pounds of blessings

I'm not a theologian. I'm not a big talker of religion really, but sometimes I think something is cool, so I put it here on my blog to share. Enjoy it for what it's worth.

To begin, I don't get worked up over the idea of testing vs blessings. I look at life as pretty much a blessing and that we have an opportunity for far more blessings if only we would stop and accept the blessing for what it is.

I had one such experience this weekend.

It's about the blessing of pecans.

You see, we have a number of pecan trees in our yard. Some years we have lots of pecans and some years not many. Most of the time someone else comes along and asks if he/she can pick up the pecans. We say yes as picking up the pecans is tedious work. This year we offered the pecans to 3 or 4 different people. I don't know if they picked any up, but I got tired of stepping on them so finally the day after Thanksgiving we got out and picked up a few.

Then a few days later I picked up a few more. I mentioned it to a friend and she was very interested in some pecans...soooooo I got to thinking about a couple of other people that might like some pecans, so yesterday, I picked up the pecans.

And as I picked the pecans up and thought about these individuals and the blessing the pecans would be to them, it was as if the floodgates of heaven opened and God said, as many as you pick up, that's how many more you can have to give others.  And as I looked and picked up the pecans, they were just everywhere!

Here is what I ended up with. And I didn't even make it to the side or back yard yet!


I filled a box and a bag and took them to the local nursery to be cracked.

This afternoon I went back and picked them up. 48 pounds of cracked pecans!!! WOW!!
Look at that!

And so, I dug out some of the strong grocery bags to fill with pecans.  And I filled and filled. I have 3 bags ready to give and my big bag of pecans ready to fill more of the smaller bags. 


I noticed a truck load of pecans on the ground this afternoon. I didn't have time to pick them up today, but I've got a mission now. Let's see how many families can be blessed with cracked pecans for from my yard for Christmas!!

How cool is that! And how easy to miss such a blessing.  It truly makes me wonder how many times I walk past the blessing that God wants to give because it might take a little work on my part. Or it might not be what I want to do at that moment. I am thankful for the blessing of the pecans and thankful that I get to piece of the blessing of others.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! You are being a good steward of earth's blessings and making someone else's day

    ReplyDelete