Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thankful Thursday or a Memorial Box Post or maybe just an I love Denim post

As I posted last, we put our house on the market.  We had someone look at it almost immediately.  They loved the house, that is everything except the den.  That ruined it for them. 

So I talked to the realtor and she mentioned that it just felt cold in there. No draperies, no rug.. just tile and cold.  She was very nice about it, but she was dead on. 

It’s amazing what you don’t notice about a room when you have been living in it for years.  I was so glad to get the tile in, the built-in done and the paint, that I never noticed how hard the room looked, especially when you compared it to the rest of the house.

Well, I decided to do something about it.  And here is my Thankful Thursday, Memorial Box story and the I love denim part…

About 12 years ago I bought a big bunch of NICE (otherwise known as expensive) denim fabric.  I was going to make something important out of it I am sure.  Well, it just never seemed to work.  Over the years we have moved a bunch of times and I have made literally dozens of pairs of curtains and all sorts of household projects using fabric from my stash.  I have even had a garage sale and sold off a lot of fabric.  But in all of this, I just couldn’t let this fabric go.

Moving to Tuesday and my need for draperies for eight windows.  Yes, that’s EIGHT windows. And I needed a rug. Talk about a chunk of change that I was going to have to spend to make this room look nice.  Off I go to Wal-Mart and I find a nice size, reasonably priced rug, YIPPEE! and I look at drapes, but man, $20 for one window..OUCH! And that’s for boring curtains!

So I go home and look through my fabric and there it is.. the DENIM fabric. I take it out and look at it.  I have 2 large pieces of it.  I measure it and consider it and HALLELUJAH!!! I had enough fabric to make some nice curtains.

In the end, I bought a companion stripe fabric for accent curtains and pillows and spent just under $30 total on fabric. If I had bought curtains like this, I would have spent AT LEAST $40 a window!

So yeah, I am excited.  I am so thankful that I was prompted to buy and keep this fabric for just this time.  I realize that it’s just fabric and just curtains, but the difference is amazing!  Even if the house doesn’t sell, I am thrilled to see the transformation.

BEFORE: A picture from last year. The furniture is different, but you get the point :)house 026

AFTER: WOWSERS!! I LOVE IT!! june 009 june 007

So while it may seem small to some, I am so THANKFUL that God provided the fabric for the curtains, an inexpensive rug and a totally transformed room!

And, yes, I am keeping a piece of denim for my scrapbook!

1 comment: