Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The footsteps of God

I don't consider myself to be one of those people that go through life looking for God in the little things. I don't ask for special treatment for parking places, grace for a green light or things like that. 

But sometimes things in life are just to "weird" to brush off.  One of those things has repeatedly happened while I am out running.

You see, my running course has me run on the side of a relatively busy road/highway for a short distance (maybe 1/4 mile) during the weekdays and about 3/4 of a mile on weekends.  If I get to the intersection prior to 7am, it's not too bad.  There is a good section of pavement on the side of road so that even the huge monster trucks with their side mirrors don't get too close.

The first day I ran this section, I was sure I heard a set of footsteps behind me.  In fact, I kept looking back to see when the person was going to pass me as it was really like he/she was on my heels. But there wasn't anyone.

I brushed it off, maybe something about this section of the road had an echo.  The second day, the same thing. The third time, a long run, the same thing. And it was like the steps were next to me as I came up the slight turning hill.

I can't describe it really.  It is incredible. I truly feel like when I am on this section that God is running next to me. The footsteps pound in rhythm to mine, but are not mine. There is no one else on the road running.

This has happened everytime I run on this road.

But yesterday as I was running towards this intersection there was a wall that I could not run through.  Invisible, yes. But really, it was like God put out his hand and placed it on my chest and said go ahead, keep running, but you will not go onto this road today!

So, I turned left and ran on the high school track instead.

I don't know what God was protecting me from. But I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment