Friday, July 20, 2012

Art Heaven.. found in Chicago for only $18.

Chicago Day 2 started with a trip to art heaven!! One of my friends suggested a trip to  The Art Institute of Chicago to see the Seurat piece there.  It just so happens to be one of my favorite art pieces, so I figured that I'd enjoy the museum.

Well let me just say, I fell in love! 

As I stated in the earlier Chicago post, I've fallen in love with the city, and I can say that it is only growing!! I just can't get over how clean and fresh everything is here.  And the landscaping and parks are incredible.

So this morning, a new friend who's husband is also here working and I started our jaunt from the hotel to the art museum.

Here are a couple of the sites along the way.


The "bean" at Millennium Park. Find me in the flash!

I just love panorama shots! Yes, even my quirky buildings!


We got to the museum early and waited for it to open in the little garden.

When it was time to open there were TONS and TONS of people in line! It was crazy!  I asked a security guard if there was something special going on and he said no, it was like that every day! WOW.

We figured okay.
Then we got inside and saw the work.
Now I understand about the line.

For a measly $18 an adult we got to see the absolute best of the best! The MASTERS! The REAL art that you see in textbooks. That I teach everyday!!

It was truly incredible!!

And, I got to take pictures of almost everything.  I can't wait to tell my students about this museum.

Here are a few of my favorites.  I even squealed a few times I know!

1. The Child's Bath by Mary Cassatt

2. The Basket of Apples by Cezanne

3.The Bedroom by van Gogh


4. American Gothic by Grant Wood

5.Nighthawks by Edward Hopper

6.Self-Portrait by van Gogh

 7.A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat

8.Paris Street; Rainy Day by Caillebotte

And that's just 8 of the hundreds of paintings, plus sculpture and textiles!  It was truly incredible. Well worth the money, the time and the LONG walk back to the hotel! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment