Friday, March 8, 2013

A Strong Woman

Today is International Women's Day. I have no clue what that means, where it came from or anything like that, but I've seen a lot of posts today about being a strong woman.  Here are a couple of really cool pictures I've borrowed from facebook :)
 


The above one was from oursoleintent.com
The bottom one is from My Lil Running Obsession (facebook).


I soo love the sentiment. It may become my mantra. In fact, all you women out there reading this, repeat it out loud with me... "Strong Women. May we know them. May we raise them. May we be them."

I grew up with a strong grandmother. She taught my mom and aunts to be strong. My mom in turned taught me to be strong. Now, I'm teaching my daughters to be strong.

This is a really good reminder to me and perfect timing, because this has been a crappy week. You know how some weeks just are. And this one was. I am reminded that maybe just importantly as teaching my girls to be strong, I'm teaching my students what a strong woman looks like.

Yesterday for example, one of my students commented on that I must be having a good day as I seemed really upbeat and happy. My response was that nope, it was a completely crappy day, but that I was choosing to be happy. A couple of the girls in particular really took note of my response. I'm not going to lie and say everything is great when it's not, but I'm not teaching them anything if I sit in the crap and teach my students to act that way.

And so, I am going to choose to be strong. I'm going to run the demons out in the morning. Surely 12 miles will do that! And then I'm going to have an awesome spring break and let the junk of the week fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment