Thursday, March 21, 2013

Scholastic Art and Writing Awards 2013... they even send teachers awards!

As a teacher I am always on the look out for contests for my students. I want them to get the most exposure and experience possible while in high school art class. This year, we participated in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards contest.
 
More than 230 THOUSAND pieces were submitted nationally. WOW!!
 
We competed in the Southwest Region-at-large. This means that my students competed with students from public, private and magnet schools across Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mexico and Oklahoma. 
 
Only about 15% of the artwork from the Southwest Region received awards. Two of my students did!! One student received a silver key award and the other an honorable mention award.
 
This was really cool.
 
Today I received this pin in the mail. It's was for ME!
 
What? A teacher award?
 
That never happens!!
 
I can not tell you how much I needed this. There are times when being a teacher is really tough. The last few weeks have been especially so. Being recognized by a large organization because my students did something good gives me that boost that I desperately needed.
 
So, if you see me on the street... don't be surprised if you see me wearing my pin!

No comments:

Post a Comment