Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My Treadmill Running Tips and What Motivates Me To Keep On Running

I don't like running on treadmills. In fact, I pretty much hate it. But some mornings, when the weather is not cooperative, I go run at the fitness center. bleh.

I don't know about you, but I struggle to have a good pace on the treadmill. You would think it would be better.. but it's not.

But I have learned a few tricks.

1. Put the incline at 1 or 1.5 for the entire run. As long as you start with a little incline, you don't notice it. For "hill" workouts, I alternate between 1.5 and 4 and for a little bit even up to 6. I can't do higher than that without holding on to the treadmill. And.. as Galloway says, there are no railings on real hills so why would you hold on to the rail on the treadmill?

2. Start with a 2 minute walk. I start at a 14 minute pace. It's 5am and that's my nod to how early it is!! You might even start with a longer walk and increase the pace. I've learned that my body does not like to just start into a run on the treadmill. While I'm bad and don't warm up on the road, I have to have a warm up on the treadmill.

3. Figure out what your "easy" mile pace is and start there. I use a 10 minute mile pace which is a 6.0 on the treadmill and do my (Galloway's) run-walk-run training for a couple of 4 minute run segments.

4. Now I start the increasing the speed of the treadmill. If it's just a regular running day, I will increase by .2 every running segment. I drop to a 15 minute pace for the 1 minute walk and then increase by .2 for the next run. This puts me running within my training to goal pace most of the run, but it has me running faster as I get longer in the run. I like this. It makes me feel strong! :) 
   
5. If it's a speed day, like today... after the first 4 minute run, I bump up and run at a 6.5 for the next 4 min. segment, then take a walk for a minute, then bump up and run at a 7 for 3 minutes, then walk a minute, then bump to an 8 (YES I DID TODAY!!!!) for 3 minutes, then walk 2 minutes while DYING... then run at a 6.5 for 4 minutes. (this feels super slow and easy now!) then walk a minute, then run at a 7 for 3 and then walk and so forth...

6. I finish with a 2 minute SLLLLOOOOOWW walk.

I pour sweat when I run inside. I realize that I am too critical, but it really bugs me to see people in the gym at 5am not sweating. I mean really, if you are going to get up early and go to the gym and take up a machine, it should be worth the effort! But oh well, I make up for the socialites :)

And really, that's how I stay motivated. Because today was the first time I have ever run on the treadmill at an 8 (7:30 mile pace). Less than a year ago, I would have struggled at a 4! Over the last 6 months I have increased my speed on the treadmill dramatically. I know it's because of my interval training. This has also translated to faster road times! While I only ran at a 7:30 pace for 3 minutes today, next time I hit the treadmill, I'm going to try for 4 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment