Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Advent Elf...2013 edition

Like many households in the US, we have an Elf that arrives for the Christmas season. "Jingle" our elf, joined us in 2009 and has rock star status in our home. 

The first year it was cute. After a couple of years it was a nightly chore to find a new place for Jingle to sit. You can only have the elf sitting on a picture frame so many times each season.

This year, since we are in a new house, we have new places!! Cool.

However, I really don't like the trend to make the elf do naughty things. That seems counter-intuitive to Christmas and the whole "better watch out" gift of Christmas.

I've also really been thinking and pondering Christmas and Advent. I looked up Elf and Advent activities far and wide and couldn't find anything that worked for our family. As Doug says, I am smashing Advent and Santa together. Yep... that's exactly what I was looking for. 

So I have created my own Elf Advent Calendar! I have even written the letter from Santa explaining what is going on and mapped out what the elf can do to reinforce the daily verses. 

Below you will find the calendar and the verse/letter files. I have attached them as pdf files should you want to use them.

Check back on Saturday evening as Doug will be my guest writer. I've asked him to do a weekly "What's coming up this week in Advent" post. In case you didn't know, he is an ordained minister. While he smirked about smashing Jesus and Jingle, he was completely on board and helped me with the verse selections!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have an awesome Advent season!

No comments:

Post a Comment