Monday, April 27, 2015

Homemade Hummus and Roasted Chickpeas

In keeping with Eat to Live and trying to add a little bean variety to my day, I decided to make my own hummus and roasted chickpeas to add to my salads.

I bought a one pound bag of dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans). I soaked the peas for 12 hours and then put them in the crockpot for almost 24 hours. I didn't intend to cook them that long, but I started them before I went to bed and in the morning they were still hard, so I kept them on low and went to work. By the time I got home from work and had a chance to deal with them it was probably 20 hours in the crockpot!

Anyway.. I took them out of the crockpot and placed about a third of them on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels and dried them off.


Then I drizzled some Hot Chili Sesame Oil on them.. just enough to coat, but not too much.

And into the oven at 400 degrees for about 30+ minutes. I wanted them crunchy and toasted.


I ate some by the handful. They were really good straight from the oven hot and crunchy with an occasional kick of spice! I have also used them in my salads all week. I wanted them crunchier, but given how long they were in the crockpot, it is a wonder they were edible!

With the remaining beans I made hummus. 

I placed the beans in my big blender with a little of their cooking liquid and added chopped garlic, Hot Chili Sesame Oil, lemon and some salt.


And pureed for a long time.  I added a little more of the cooking liquid as I blended the beans.

Done! It's yummy and I know exactly what is in it!

Next time I'm going to not cook the beans so long to see if I can get them a little crunchier for my "topping."

And here is my salad with my homemade hummus! No dressing required!


No comments:

Post a Comment