Monday, April 6, 2015

Day 1.. Eat to Live

I read Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live book a couple of years ago after talking with one of my running buddies for months about her eating choices, her energy and her attitude. One of the things that Fuhrman states is that you have to be willing to NOT JUST give it a try for six weeks..but to make a commitment to the eating lifestyle. With that, I said, no thanks.

Well, periodically something would come up and I would ask the friend her take on a food choice or health issue. She always has a great common sense approach and is willing to give me lots of advice knowing that in the end, I'm only going to do probably 10% of her suggestions.. cause really, I don't want to have to work too hard at this healthy lifestyle approach!

Spring forward a year or so and one of my other running buddies and her husband decided to tackle the six week challenge and they have been transformed. My friend has lost a over 10 pounds and at least that many inches (she wasn't overweight to begin with.. just "healthy" like me) in six weeks. More than that, she comments about how good she feels.  All I know is that since she starting eating like this, she has become increasingly fast on our morning runs!

Anyway, the last year I have really struggled with the 10 pounds that I have gained back from my original goal weight in 2012. I lose them, I gain them.. back and forth, over and over again.  Besides the fact that I really wanted to lose another 8 pounds as that was my dream weight goal...

So, all that to say, I borrowed the book again and reread it and decided to just take the plunge and go for it!  The hardcore 6 weeks plan (in my opinion) is really more for the morbidly obese as that is where his case studies fit.  But I am going to give it my best effort.

What am I eating? Well.. no dairy, no animal products, no sugar. LOTS and lots of raw vegetables (1 pound a day is the goal), LOTS and lots of cooked vegetables (another pound goal), four servings of fruit, a cup of beans and a small serving of oil.

Specifically...what did I eat today?

Well...here is my day:


  • Got up and ran 4 miles at 5am
  • Had a strawberry, banana, peach smoothie with 1/2 cup almond milk and a scoop of Rockin Wellness for breakfast. I also had a cup of coffee with a little bit of non-dairy creamer and some cinnamon in it. (yes, that is cheating.. but let me refer you to page 306.. if a cup of coffee makes me able to stick to the eating, then he says have the cup of coffee!) My goal is to eradicate the non-dairy creamer soon...
  • For lunch I had a huge salad with the normal salad veggies plus black beans, a handful of frozen corn and a tablespoon or so of salsa. No dressing. I also had some snap peas, carrots and celery that I dipped in roasted pepper hummus. I had a peach and a pear for dessert/snack during the rest of the school day.
  • For dinner, I had a medium baked potato topped with pico de gallo and grilled onions. I ate that with a side of roasted brussel sprouts. I had some peach for desert along with and 4 Wasabi almonds.
And where does that leave me? Well, it's 8:40pm and I'm not hungry.. I had decided that I was going to allow myself to have a glass of wine that was 1/2 cut with water.  But I'm full.

Originally, I wasn't going to broadcast my Eat to Live journey, but it's such a departure from anything else I've ever done foodwise, I figure why not!

And for all of you Weight Watcher's people out there.. this is tough on my mental state!  I went ahead and logged all of my food today, just to see what it would say. Well, with every morsel accounted for, I used 12 points for food and I earned 8 activity points. Those remaining 14 points are playing with my mind.. I could eat an entire candy bar and still not use any of my weekly extras!

Well, I'll keep you posted. I've already packed my lunch tomorrow (that is more than 1/2 the battle for me!). Can't wait to see if I drop any of my middle, my mommy pouch.. more than that, I am proud of the fact that I ate all of those veggies today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment