Friday, July 25, 2014

Art, Theatre and Photography Camp Wrap Up

Art, Theatre and Photography Camp was a last week. This week I have recovered. So I'm ready to share some of the highlights from the week.

It was a great week and the kids had a wonderful time. 

This is pretty much a photo dump on this post, but I'm going to go over the highlight art project in my next post.  (The oil pastel and acrylic resist color wheel!)

It's always fun to create a banner with hand prints!
Neon hand prints are even better!




The first day I had the kids make insects from clay and wire. They LOVED it! But then who doesn't love clay!! 










Sculpture was a great first day project as it got everyone involved immediately and was good for all ages.  Some of the campers had time to make multiple insects and were happily surprised that we let them!

Here is one of the finished insects! (We didn't really paint until Thursday as they had to dry..)



On the second day, I had the campers create insects from their names. I printed out their names on a white piece of paper and then they used that to write their name in oil pastel on a transparency. Then they transfered the mirror image onto the other side of the transparency. Once the names were completed, they created an insect from their imagination.


 


even the volunteers wanted to make an insect name!
And the finished projects.


On Wednesday, we made coffee filter flowers and watercolor paintings. 


On Thursday, we screen printed bags! I was worried about how it would turn out as it was so humid and raining, but the clumpy paint was perfect!!  65 bags screened and not a bad one!!


There is something so gratifying about screen printing with kids. It's like magic to them. And for the campers that were there for the third year in a row, they asked about screen printing from day one! I was very glad to not screen their shirts.. but I enjoyed teaching them to screen print without the pressure of needing the outcome to be perfect. But as it turned out, all of the bags looked great!

Friday came quickly and I wanted to finish the week with one last "real" art project. Granted, the kids created sculpture, used oil pastel, acrylic paints, watercolor and learned all kinds of stuff.. but I wanted something that parents could look at and say.. that's a "real" art project! 

So the kids created an oil pastel/acrylic resist color wheel. It was messy and a lot of work.. but WORTH it! Here are a couple of pictures. I'll post the process later!
me teaching the volunteers? who knows!! probably, they wanted to make the projects too!






So that's what I did all week. The kids also went to theatre stuff! They worked on a mini-musical called BUGZ, went to rotations for costuming and set and had a ball! Here is Kylie and her group practicing.


And not to be forgotten, Lexi spent half the day in photography camp. She LOVED it!! She took some great pictures. Too bad I don't have copies of them! oops!

And finally, the performance! The show started at 5:15. By 4:50 this was the auditorium... front row seats were in demand!

We had a stage FULL of campers!! Wow. With all of the kids broken into groups when they came to see me, I didn't realize just how many little bodies we would have on stage!

Kylie was a ladybug.



Lexi was a firefly.


The show was a huge success!

And we are already working on next year's camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment