Sunday, August 11, 2013

The "ultra" me??


 
No, you don't have to worry about me running 300 miles in a weekend. And no, I'm not going to start running all night either. But as I am sitting resting, trying to get over bronchitis as fast as possible, I've been reading some really cool books by Ultra runners. 

By definition, Ultrarunning is anything longer than a marathon, but to be "counted" as an ultra event, the race has to be at least 50k (31.07 miles). Many ultra events are 50 miles, 100 miles or more!!

Crazy stuff!!

So why am I intrigued by ultra runners? Because I understand the psyche of these people. Granted I am currently training for my first marathon and can't fathom living in training mode all the time. But I do understand the feeling of having too much energy and "needing an outlet!!" Running 30 miles at one time doesn't scare me either. I'm not ready for that, and with my lungs not at peak at the moment, I couldn't do it... But I know that on a good day, I can run almost 20 miles without feeling sore the next day. So really, the jump from 20 to 30 isn't that far....

How's that for nuts!! If you had asked me a year ago about training for a marathon, I would have said no way! And here I am saying I'm ready for the marathon! And I'm already looking for the next challenge. 

And maybe that's really why I "get" these people. They are challenge junkies.. And so am I. 

So if you want to be challenged and a little horrified at the same time, I would highly recommend reading both Pam Reed's book The Extra Mile and Dean Karnazes book The Ultramarathon Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment