Friday, December 11, 2009

Sister Suffragettes

I wonder if the women that fought so valiantly for equal rights for women would be happy with where we find women today?  I ponder this as I struggle to juggle work and family and house and everything in between.  I'm not trying to say poor me or anything like that, but I have to say, I'm tired! (draft started at 6pm Thursday night... coming back to it at 6am Friday morning...)

I don't know about where you are in life, but all I can say is that there is too much that has to be done!  Going non-stop from 6am to 10pm taking care of others or working leaves very little for me. My favorite tv show is The Biggest Loser, in fact, it's the only thing I watch all week.  This last season one of the women on it was Liz.  She's was just your average mom and yet, she resounded with me because I could so see myself in her.  She talked about how she gave all of herself to her family and that in the end, there was nothing left for herself.  This at the age of 49.  I can see myself in her as I struggle to take care of my family and at the end of the day not only do I not have the time or energy to exercise, but I haven't even done the laundry yet!

So here I sit at 6am having a cup of coffee and listening to the baby squeak that she's awake and ready to be fed, but I'd really like to finish this post.  My social and political leanings are decidedly left of center, but I have to say, that right now, I'm not too thrilled with where I find myself.  I'd like nothing more to just stay home today and take care of my family and me.  But reality sets in and I know that I've got to get ready for work.  As long as my job provides health insurance for my family, then I must go to work.  Really, I am so blessed that I really enjoy my job, but for today, can I just stay home?

And for all of the "sister suffragettes" I'd be interested in your take.  Mrs. Banks had a great life, a husband and two kids, a governess, a maid and a cook. She said that one day we would "sing in grateful chorus. Well done, my sister suffragettes." But in the end, even she needed Mary Poppins!

No comments:

Post a Comment