Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good Riddance Day

I saw a post about Good Riddance Day over at Inky Smiles and thought, well that’s something that might motivate me! 
So here is the premise.  Let’s today, choose to get rid of something in our life that is holding us back or that we are holding on to without reason.  There are so many things that each of us could get rid of.. so where do we start?
I’m not sure what all I’m going to get rid of yet.  Too many things come to mind.  But I do know that I going to do some spring cleaning of the soul!
Good-Riddance[6]
One of the reasons this concept of Good Riddance resonates with me is that I just finished reading Donald Miller’s book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. If you haven’t read this book, you need to!  Miller writes about living a better story and how we have to choose to live a story worth writing about: an adventure!
So why don’t we live better stories? In my opinion (and my mom’s) one of the biggest things that holds us back is fear.  We fear change, we fear … well we just fear.  If we were to get rid of fear, just think about the things we could do!
Another reason we don’t live better stories and can’t seem to let go of things or people is that if we don’t have that crutch or reason, we might have to actually get to living and sometimes that’s messy!
We can talk about what we would do if only we could.. but we never take the step and do it.  I know that in my family, we are constantly thinking ahead and being “visionaries” but we don’t seem to put into practice much of what we would like to see.
So this year, my first Good Riddance is complacency. If I were to step away from complacency, I could:
  • lose the 20 pounds
  • serve more people in more tangible ways
  • have an adventure to go in my life story
Now please note in the above that I never mentioned a diet, exercise, a clean house or other unreachable new year resolutions!! While I know that I will have to diet, I will have to exercise and my family would all appreciate a clean house, today I’m just going to focus on the attitude.  The action will follow. Tomorrow!
Have a great 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment