Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Technique Tuesday: Recycled Magazine Basket

recycled magazine basket 004 Large Web view recycled magazine basket 002 Large Web view

Lexi and I created this little basket yesterday out of magazine pages.  She had fun looking for “pretty” pages and 100_0990 Large Web viewthen we tore them out, cut them up and wove them into a basket.

The instructions for these cute little baskets can be found here.  Since this blogger has done all of the instruction work, I am not going to repeat them here!!  Here baskets are better, but I did find that you do get better with practice, so we may just see what Maddie can come up with.

For my basket, I trimmed my pages to the full height by 7” wide.  Then cut each page to 3.5” wide by the full height before starting to fold.  My strips were about .5” wide. Finished dimensions are approximately 4.5” x 5.25” x 1.5” tall. If you want higher sides, keep the box more square and that will give you the extra weaving space.

Last note, while some may not like the staples showing, I like the outside staples.  They look like stitches, so I might take a piece of twill ribbon and glue it to the inside of the box to hide the yucky part of the staple.  But then again, I might not since I am already using the box :)

 recycled magazine basket 001 Large Web view

Oh.. and one more thing, don’t you just love the pictures of my hands that Lexi took :) Not bad for a 4 year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment