Friday, September 21, 2012

A life well lived.

If you have read many of my blog posts, you know that my family is the core of who I am. Not just my husband and children, but my FAMILY..  My parents, my sisters and their husbands/children, my cousins, my grandparents and even our close friends.

You have probably read posts about my grandparents.

Well, my granddad, Hoyt Greene died yesterday afternoon.

It is with heartache that I write this, but also with joy.

Grandad was born in 1917 and lived well.

He taught our family to LOVE.
He taught our family to READ.
He taught our family that we could be ANYTHING!

He and my grandmother raised four girls to be strong women.
That legacy has been passed down to my sisters and me.
That is what I am teaching my daughters.

Grandad loved politics and economics.
In his retirement, he went to the library almost everyday and as a child I went with him during the summers sometimes. I loved the children's section of the big downtown Fort Worth library. After we finished at the library, we'd stop by and check the stock market and make it back to the house for lunch with Grandmother.

One of the best gifts that Granddad and Grandmother gave to us grandchildren was the feeling like we were their favorite. My sisters each think that they were the favorite, but I know that I was! :)

Grandad did this with giving his undivided attention to me.
Grandad did this with my children.

Here are the most recent pictures I have with my girls and Grandad.
Granddad is reading "Daddy's Girl" to Kylie and Lexi.
Oh how precious these memories are.

And how thankful I am to have these pictures to show my girls.




As we say goodbye to Grandad, I want to remember to love wholeheartedly and with undivided attention to my family. To honor our family traditions and to live with the integrity and quite compassion of my Grandad.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss. I know the pain of losing your very loved grandpa and/or papa. I lost both of mine very young and still miss them every day! Prayers are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete