Saturday, March 6, 2010

The reason I am teacher

Some days I wonder if I am doing enough as a teacher.  Some days I wonder if anything I do is right. 
Some days I wonder if I am doing more harm than good.
Some days I wonder if I should change careers.

But not today.

This is the reason I teach.
This is the reason I keep learning knew ways to teach.
This is the reason I push myself to not just do “enough.”
This is the reason I love my job.
web clayweb clay2 web clay3
I wish I could show you this student’s face. And while I have permission to photograph and use her images, in respect for her, I won’t.  Let’s just say that her face contained a joy that I have never seen.

This student is wheelchair bound and has cerebral palsy.  She communicates with her facial expressions and some sounds.  My heart aches for the experiences that she misses out on because we haven’t figured out a way to include her.  My heart aches for the struggles that she faces every day.

But today, she was the one who was able to experience creating on a pottery wheel.  With some adaptation, a wonderful therapist who was willing to come in early and go the extra mile (complete with getting covered in clay) and some non-traditional methods, this student created ART!!!

My heart races just remembering her joy.

This is why I am so proud to be a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment