Saturday, March 10, 2012

To South Africa and Beyond!

My 16 year old nephew Carter in the picture above left for a mission trip to South Africa yesterday!  WOW and amazing. If you would like to read the back story from my sister's blog, click here. I think one of the coolest things about what Carter is doing is that he is serving in an area where he can be truly used.  He's not just doing something that is going to make him feel good.

This is not Carter's first trip either. He has been abroad with his mom and then done things in Texas with his dad.

So... it makes me think about Maddie and kids with special needs. How do they get opportunities to serve others beyond their local communities?

Maddie loves to serve others. She helps at school and church. She loves "teaching" (being in charge). But when you put all of the restrictions on what Maddie and others with limitations can do, where do they fit in the broader sense of mission trips?

I know, I know.... we do mission trips because there is a need somewhere, not so that my privilege kid can gain life experience,  BUT....

Maybe some of you out there have an idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment