Thursday, May 17, 2012

Disappointment

Some days are just crappy. Today is one of those. Not for me, but for Maddie. Therefore for me a hundred fold.

Every year, Maddie struggles during the last marking period with making her Accelerated Reader goal because her body is worn out.  In fact, until this year, she had never made the last six weeks goal. This meant that she never got to go to the "good" party at the end of the year, because she was one of "those" kids. "Those" kids meaning the kids who stereotypically either didn't care about reading, didn't have the work ethic, or didn't have parent support to help with the reading at home.  Of course, we all know that she's not one of "those" kids, but it didn't matter, she never got to go.

Well, THIS year, Maddie worked all school year to earn points for the Accelerated Reader 300 point trip. It's a huge deal and hard to attain. Maddie earned more than 350 points. (Last year she earned about 200). We were so excited! She qualified for the trip early and has looked forward to this trip ALL YEAR!

But... guess what? The trip was today and she's at home. Her body is worn completely out.  Why? Because the choir trip was yesterday so Maddie spent the day in the sun yesterday and couldn't recover for the field trip today.  I'm hurt for her. I'm mad that the school scheduled back to back trips. In fact, it's three days of trips because tomorrow is the 6th grade trip to the Omni.  I am really, really hoping that she will get to attend that.

I could go on for awhile about how I feel. But I won't.

I'm just disappointed.

I am disappointed because my 12 year old is devastated but is so used to being hurt that she hides her tears. I grieve because my beautiful and sweet tween is resigned that this is her lot in life. I'm angry because since this type of thing isn't new for her, so she doesn't even seem shocked or throw a fit. I'm scared for her, because at what point does she just give up on her dreams and goals? 

No comments:

Post a Comment