Thursday, December 29, 2011

Walmart... Really? No return, not even with a reciept???

Maybe I've been living in a bubble and am the ONLY person to not know it... but did you know that Walmart does not allow holiday items to be returned after said holiday even if you have a receipt??

Well, I didn't! And it's not written in their store policy, it's not posted anywhere in the store and it isn't on my receipt! So, how was I supposed to know?  You don't! And I call FOUL! and UNFAIR!!

You see, this all started out so simple, I purchase new pajamas for the girls every year to open Christmas Eve.  Maddie as a tween isn't really an adult small, nor is she a kid size either.  However, in my quest for jammies, I settled on an adult small purchased from Walmart knowing that if I found something more her size elsewhere I could always return it.

Happily, I found a tween size that were cute at another store and all was well.  I had my bag of things to return to Walmart and almost did so on Christmas Eve, but with the store overflowing with people, decided that since there was no rush, to just wait a take everything back a couple of days after Christmas.

Well, today, 12/29 was that day!
I got my items marked, waited my turn at customer service and had a very nice and friendly worker explain to me that she could not take the pajamas back.  That it was STORE POLICY to not take anything back after the holiday.  I was shocked!  I asked where this policy was posted.  She confirmed that it wasn't.  I asked why it wasn't on the receipt.  She said that was a good idea, that I should let corporate know that they should do that before next Christmas.  You see, it would make her life much easier she said.  

To be honest, I really wanted to throw a good fit.  Thankfully I didn't.  And thankfully $17.97 isn't the end of the world.  But it's the principle!  I understand not wanting to take holiday items back after the holiday, but at least be HONEST about it.  Make a sign and put it on your receipts... like the honest store owners do.

So here is what I have decided to do, (and I realize that the monstrosity called the Walmart Corporation doesn't care) but I'm not going to buy anything from Walmart that I don't have to.  Boycotting Walmart doesn't work.  Not in a small community like ours where it feels like our dollars are held hostage!  But for me, I am going to do my best to plan a little better, buy a little earlier and purchase from retailers that care about their customers. 

What about you out there?  Did you know about this policy?  And if so, how did you find out?

1 comment:

  1. Yes I did know about that policy but probably because of someone like you. I don't know that I have ever heard that from a store employee or have seen it posted at the store. Sorry. Those kinds of things are so aggravating.

    ReplyDelete