Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sometimes you have to play hooky!

I woke up this morning in plenty of time to make it to any service at church that we might want to attend.  But... I really just wanted to go do something with my family. So I googled all of the attractions that we could find within two hours from home. The goal was to find something indoors or that included water, and of course a reasonable price. I looked at a aquariums, museums, water parks, malls, zoos.. you name it. 

It is so difficult to find attractions that are family friendly, reasonably priced and that cater to an almost 2 year old, a six year old and an eleven year old!!  I really wanted to go to a water park a couple of hours away, but as Maddie reminded me, she can't stay outside for long periods of time, so that takes a day at a water park away.  And I don't mind saying that I am WAY too cheap to spend a fortune on tickets to a water-theme park and only stay for 2 hours or so.

We could go to one of the museums, but that is our default, and I don't think my girls would be all that impressed with the "Cubist Experiment" about Picasso and Braque at the Kimbell. 

So we found ourselves in a delemia. I really don't want my girls to think that a family adventure or family fun time revolves around shopping.  The problem is that living in a small town, we find ourselves just going to the "big city" to shop and to do something, and that in turn, becomes our family outing.

After lots of discussion and consideration, we ended up doing what Maddie suggested.  (Yes, we do that often.  Have you met Maddie?)  We loaded up and went to the metropolis of Eastland, Texas.

Eastland is not a booming city (I don't think??). 

We drove in early to get lunch.

We drove through town.  We turned around and went back to the DQ.

So had everyone else.

Apparently it is the only restaurant in town?

An hour later we left the fast food place. UGH!

But, I tell you, it's worth it for Eastland's water park. 

I don't know it's real name.

All I know is that session 1 starts at noon and lasts till 2:45 and that my family swims and plays for $8. Yes, that's $8 total.  

There are lifeguards and slides and we have a blast.

Used to, you could bring your own food and drink. Now they have a concession stand, so no food, but if you have a paper cup with lid, you can bring a drink!  Yes, that's big news for us :)

Here is the family..

Really, coming here is like having an incredible pool with slides and lifeguards for yourself.  There were maybe 30ish people at the park.  The girls just played and played and Doug mastered the slide! 

Then he took Kylie down the slide. She LOVED it.  She is our fearless child anyway, and so she thought it was great.



For those of you who know us and where we live.. well, yes we have a little water park in town as well.  We have a few slides. And yes, it is bigger than Eastland.  However, while it's name is "Splashville" it's real name could be "Ruleville" and as a mom who takes her three kids there often, I love those rules.  But on the weekend when Dad is around, we like to have fun and ride down slides together and horse-around in the water.. all the things that are not allowed at "Ruleville".

So, if you happen to be looking for a fun, family friendly place to go this next weekend.. might I suggest the water park in Eastland.  Nope, they don't know that I heart them :).  Just don't stop at the shell station if you need to go in for anything.  It's like walking into a lit cigarette. YUCK!  I usually stop at the exxon right when you get into town cause the bathrooms are clean, but Kylie was about to fall asleep, so we had to stop RIGHT THEN and we ended up getting second hand smoke.  :(

This wasn't going to be a commercial for anything or anyone.. I was just going to tell you all that we skipped church this morning and it felt good!

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment